Birds in the attic …
Was heading home from work last night when Jenny rang through saying there were no lights in the house with the RCD tripping and not going back on when reset.
We knew that we had some young birds in the roof space. We thought there was 1 or 2 birds in there. This is the second year they have been there but they were no trouble last year. The original plan was to let then grow and leave the roof as they had before.
This year was to be different. When I got home, I checked the attic and found where they had chewed through a Gyprock panel creating a hole 500mm x 100mm. Not only that I counted 3 young birds.
It was then time to start lifting off roofing iron to see what else they had been chewing. I removed 5m of roofing, to find about 20m of wires and 2 light fittings chewed to death.
The hardest part then was to find an electrician who would do the job. Many I rang told me Xmas time so it was a phone call to a family friend who hasn’t quite retired yet and three hours later at 9pm, the wires had been replaced.
Today was spent putting the roof back on after bird proofing it. Just after I got the roof back on, the parents tried to get back in but thankfully the bird proofing worked.